Welcome to Social Justice Wiki!
We wish to document, explain, and support any activism that is part of the greater social justice movement, e.g., feminism, the LGBT movement, anti-fascism, the civil rights movement, the queer movement, no borders and migrant solidarity movements, the trans movement, the fat acceptance movement, the body positive movement, and so on. By the same token, we want to debunk, document, and provide commentary on reactionary movements, that work to corrode, or otherwise damage, advancements in social justice.
Read our frequently asked questions for more details.
|“||Free speech is an important right. Unfortunately, some people have no idea what it means. Of course, that doesn’t mean they stop demanding it.||”|
Social justice is a philosophical, political, social, and legal movement in support of the rights of those who are marginalised, chiefly by poverty, but also (and increasingly) those who lack social privilege at any intersection.
Historically, it is a concept that has existed since ancient times. One of the earliest influential western writings on social justice was penned by Aristotle in Nicomachean Ethics volume V. This work discussed distributive justice. The term "social justice" itself was coined in the 1840s by a Jesuit priest named Luigi Taparelli. Partly due to its historical roots, the meaning of the phrase has been contentious. However in modern times, the consensus is that social justice has a secular definition.
Recently created articles
- If you want to hang out with us, try the chat, or the forum.
- If you are new and need help yourself, read our new user help.
- If you want to help with writing articles, first log in, and then check out what needs to be done.
- Currently, we are looking for translators especially for Spanish, see the neurosexism article in Spanish.
- Alternatively, you can try to improve a random article, or to browse the categories or the articles.
Recently edited pages
- Swag, by Stephanie Zvan
- Beliefs about Social Justice in English Education
- [http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0014/001474/147499e.pdf Changing perspectives on early childhood: theory, research and policy]
- Courage and Social Justice: History Students Engage New York's Immigrant and Refugee Communities
- Doctoral of Education (Ed.D.) in Social Justice Education
- Journal for Social Action in Counseling and Psychology
- [http://www.utexas.edu/ugs/sites/default/files/bdp/docs/HRSJ%20Curriculum%20-%20Jan%202014.pdf Human Rights & Social Justice at the University of Texas]
- Critical Theory & Social Justice
- J. Zajda, S. Majhanovich, V. Rust, Education and Social Justice, 2006, ISBN 1-4020-4721-5